I Love to Create – Halloween Goody Bags with Crayon Cupcakes

Finding cute, not goofy, goody bags can really be the bane of a party throwing mother’s existence. Trust me, I know from experience. As usual it was left to me to take crafty matters into my own hands.

SUPPLIES
Decorative Paper
Decorative Edge Scissors
Aleene’s Acid Free Tacky Glue Stick
Goodie Bag Fillers – including Crafty Chica Skull Iron-On

Luckily I found some cute polka dotted bags at Hobby Lobby to work with. From here I cut ovals out in 3 different sizes with scalloped edge scissors.

Using my Aleene’s Acid Free Tacky Glue Stick I layered all my pieces together. I also made a purple border that I glued a strip of Halloween paper to.

I attached my toppers to the bags using a stapler. Wanna see what’s inside?

Here is all the loot for the wee little ghosts and goblins – bubbles, Crafty Chica Iron On’s for their creative moms, books and crayon cupcakes. Don’t know how to make crayon cupcakes? They are super easy let me show you how!

All you will need are crayons and a muffin tin. I used the same Halloween themed tin I used last year to make soap.

Peel the wrappers off of your crayons, break them into small pieces and fill your muffin tins.

I placed the tin in the oven at 250 and waited for the crayons to melt. All that was left to do was wait for them to harden and they slid right out of the tin. Much easier for toddlers to hold and color with than traditional crayons.

Now all the goody bags are waiting on my windowsills for this weekend’s Pint Sized Halloween Party. I hope they are a big hit.

Looking for some other Halloween goody bag ideas? Take a peek at these videos I did for HGTV!

9 Responses to “I Love to Create – Halloween Goody Bags with Crayon Cupcakes”

1. KeLLy aNN

LoVe it! I never thought to mold crayons like that…all I ever did was make candles with them!
    Diggin the Crafty Chica iron ons..
    haven't done that in a while.

2. Saundra

I JUST found racecar muffin tins in a bag of miscellaneous stuff someone gave me — I can't wait to make crayons for my boys! Thanks!

3. Jennifer Perkins - Naughty Secretary Club

Saundra – good luck! Muffin tins come in all shapes and sizes so the fun ideas are endless. Also I saw a big bag of crayon bits at the thrift store yesterday so check there. I got mine at Big Lots.

I'm trying to think of a way to use candy molds. They come in such cute shapes, but they are plastic so the oven idea is out. I wonder about some sort of make shift double broiler or

4. KeLLy aNN

We're talking early 70s here…
    We would just melt the crayons, on the stove, like in a pie pan, lol,
    not recommended today! I remember we used some type of string wick, set up our container, and poured. I cannot remember though, how well they burned…it would be a cool project to test it today. I do recall a family friend who had a rainbow one; that was awesome!

this is

5. KeLLy aNN

If you use the candy molds, you may have to melt your wax, set mold on top of ice/water mixture, and then pour into molds. Def check test by dropping a bit of the melted wax on a corner of the mold, both without the ice and one with the ice to see if it melts it.

6. Amber Dawn

oh gracious. I told myself just this week that I was going to stick to the supplies I have on hand ……but now I MUST go out and find some of these tins. Great job! Hope your party is a blast.
    ~Amber

7. giddy girlie

Do you have a candy thermometer? Use it to check the temperature of your melted crayon wax. Some of those candy molds can withstand pretty high heats – this site says that all of theirs have a max temperature range of 110-140 (http://www.candymoldcentral.com). But if you have sugar molds, those can withstand really high heats, up around 300.

Crayola says their crayons melt at