Since I turned the big 4-0 (which was just last year) I’ve challenged myself to do as many new things every year as I am years old. In other words this year I am working through my 41 While 41 list doing things like making spring rolls for the first time, going to state parks in Texas I have never visited, trying new spots for brunch and taking Jazzercise. You have to dress the part when going to Jazzercise right?
Today I am 41.5 and I’m excited to say I am more than half way through my list. I think challenging yourself to break out of your comfort zone and try new mediums, go new places and learn new things is so important. I read Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic at the start of the year (list item #17 – started a book club) and she talked so much about these types of things. Stretching yourself, exposing yourself and even finding these adventures as unexpected boosts to what you were already doing. Today to celebrate my half birthday I thought I would share my list thus far. I’m also taking suggestions! If I go over 41 even better!
These are in no particular oder and some are more impressive than others. I never said all 41 had to be as earth shattering as seeing Willie Nelson play for the first time.
- Willie Nelson – First time this born and bred Texan saw Willie Nelson was at the 2016 SXSW.
- Winebelly – Fun little wine bar and restaurant in South Austin. Sometimes after kids even a new restaurant is riveting.
- Geocaching – The fam and I took an official class lead by a Texas park ranger and got hooked!
- Pedernales Falls – The park where we went geocaching is just 45 minutes outside of Austin, but well worth the drive.
- Voodoo Donut – This staple of the NW has moved to Austin and it was worth the drive just see my daughter eat a donut with a pentagram on it.
- Book Club – I rarely read so I thought if I was part of a book club I might. Still not reading, but I’m really good at listening. For the record we have read Big Magic, Daring Greatly, A Curious Mind and now Do Cool Sh*t.
- Dragon Park – This is a hidden gem of a sculpture park in Dallas.
- PM Detox Yoga – I’m not a yoga fan and I think I am officially ok with typing that out loud.
- Lice – Does getting head lice from your kids count? It does if your me.
- Glass Bottom Boat Ride – San Marcos, TX is right down the road and though I have ridden their glass bottom boats before I had not in a long time.
- Pottery Class – Thanks to the Art Garage Austin I can now say I’ve taken a hand building pottery class.
- Via 313 – I’m partial to East Side Pies since my brother-in-law is one of the owners, but when Via 313 came to S. Austin I had to show support.
- Great Wolf Lodge – In lieu of birthday parties this year my kids opted for a trip to Great Wolf Lodge. I think my husband and I were entertained as much as they were.
- Ropes Course / Zip Line – Not just wolves and water, GWL also had a ropes course. I went with my young son and ended up having a grand time zipping around.
- Explosions in the Sky – I’ve seen them play before, but this time was a friends and family show at The Paramount Theatre in Austin. So much fun to take my kids to their first concert.
- Juice Cleanse – For 40 I did 3 days, this time I did 4. I’ve never in my life been so happy to chew.
- Jazzercise – This might become my new favorite thing. Went with my sister half joking (hence the outfit) and left loving it and dripping in sweat. I’m a believer.
- Lonesome Dove Bistro – This is a new restaurant in Austin by chef Tim Love. Three words – Jalapeño Cucumber Margaritas.
- Longview Park – This is a hidden gem of a park in S. Austin complete with geocaches, dog park, trails, cemetery and of course a play ground. I also spotted some giant long horn cattle on the way.
- Gouche Class – My first time to the Paper and Craft Pantry and I’m smitten. I took a gouche painting class with The Stationary Bakery.
I’m well over half way there. I’ll share again in October at my birthday. I’m hoping to go over 41. Any fun ideas or suggestions? Online classes, restaurants, Texas day trip destinations to try?
A glass blowing class? Metal working at South Austin Jewelry? They have an ornament class around Christmas time too…
I gotta know though; those tights…where can I find those tights?!
These are all great ideas! I have friends that have taken both. I’m eyeballing that Groupon for beekeeping!
I got the leggings from Society 6 the artist is LordofMasks