One of my favorite Austin events is this weekend, the Kite Festival! I thought I would be home with the new baby, but at this rate I may be able to go with Chris and Tallulah. As you can see from the above picture we went last year and it was a big hit.
There are big kites, little kites, homemade kites and professional kites. Here are a few quick tips to make your kite watching experience a little better.
– Parking around Zilker Park can be tricky (ever been to ACL?). I recommend riding the bus. That is what we did and it worked out quite swimmingly.
– Dress appropriately. It is March and in Texas that can be hot. Especially for little ones. Think sunblock, hats and maybe even some sunglasses.
– Pack your own snacks and plenty of water. I read horror stories of little ones and heat stroke so keep everyone cool and hydrated. Also you might pack a blanket to sit and have said snacks and water on.
– Bring your own kite. You don’t have to be a pro to fly at the festival. In-between all the fun festivities like biggest kite you can sail your own.
– Strollers are fun, but kids will get sick of looking at people’s butts and you might get sick of pushing it through a park with no trail. If you have a back pack the kids can get a better view. We found ours used for $15.
All that is left to do is make your own kite or head out to the hobby store and score yourself one. Remember this is not an activity only for kids. Chris and I had been long before Tallulah was a twinkle in anyones eye and had tons of fun.